Monday, October 5, 2009

Week 10 of 16 Week Program

First ow...second ow...oh yeah and ow!!! But as I say that I feel a bit pathetic as Shelley and Brian just complete the marathon in Portland yesterday!! So I feel I can't complain too much...


Before the ows...let's talk about the week. First I'll preface this update with the fact that I did not hit all my mileage this week which I wasn't happy about and as it accumulates...I feel like I'm getting behind, now.

So last Wed did my short run of 2 miles...ran in the neighborhood...ol' faithful. Pretty straight forward until my garage pad didn't seem to work and I sat outside my house for a half hour knocking on neighbors doors to use a phone with no success....until I remembered I'd hidden a key outside from the last time this happened...duh!! Ignore I just told you how stupid I was...

Then Friday evening did what should have been my speedwork run. Went after work and decided to take advantage of the cooler air and also with my distance increasing wanted to explore outside my subdivision. So I hit the streets on the opposite side of Happy Valley and within the first mile was paranoid about running in the dark....thanks mom!! In my neighborhood I'm ok but being in a new area with much darker streets I found myself constantly worrying....even that strange 80 yr old woman out walking with her schnoodle (or whatever mix breed) ...oh yeah that's right...I know that lady was packin' and looking to take me down!!! Ok actually she was very pleasant and waved as I passed by....but still everyone I saw or thought I saw started making me paranoid. I even literally jumped 10 feet out into the street because I thought I saw something came at me from a gutter drain....ok...it was actually just me...my shadow that is! Good news was it disracted for practically my entire run....but I worked my way into an area where I was getting no street lights and decided to turn back...ultimately I only did barely over 3 miles....I guess better than nothing but still.

Then Saturday I must have dropped an ice cube or two in the kitchen and later in the evening slipped....thank goodness I caught myself by grabbing the counters but the offset of trying to keep from falling...felt my hip pull. Not a big deal but I could feel it...wait and see. Next day not bad....Monday morning a bit more painful but still nothing as bad as previous hip pain. Saw on Runner's World 3 best yoga stretches and one actually really helped and was actually surprised I could even do it...not just because of the hip but it was close to doing the splits or a move a 12 yr old does :) ...felt awesome though!!

So today was my first 8 mile run. I left work earlier than I have in quite some time....and decided to hit the streets vs the indoor track. 1) I need to get some long distance runs in outdoor and 2) I think it's early enough that I can get it in before Lester the Molester comes out :) Well I went over to the subdivion on the other side of the mountain because there are just so many different streets and routes and ups and downs...get it all!! But didn't get started until about 5:45. Again again again all day and actually even starting Saturday night I started stressing about this run...one more mile increase - 8! Close to 2 hrs for me now...quiet the brain again....please! So I start to run down a down hill section...feel good and then a try an new road...and it's more uphill and longer than I'd thought...but ok keep pushing...heck if it's uphill this way I'm going back that same way and take advantage of some downhill....so that was good.....ran around my old loop from prior posting and it was still light out enough I didn't have to worry about Creeper Creeperson....but still for these first 3 miles...I was just like ugh!! I'm am just not up for 8 miles....my hips are killing me and the one that I pulled I was definitely feeling it!! But as I started to finish that loop and was approaching 4 miles...I felt great!!! Felt like I could keep going forever....started up another uphill and my pace actually got faster....and not intended!! Felt great!!! Went back down that route towards the beginning and was almost back to my car at mile 6...ok I need 2 more miles....only way to really do that is head toward Creeper Creeperson ville if I didn't want to get too far from my car. So unfortunately (thanks mom - just kidding) I opted to cut the run short!! I of course felt horrible but also immediately the pain in my hip was the worst ever!!! And I know tomorrow is going to be a BAD BAD day...icy/hot and ice packs for now. We'll see tomorrow. But again I can't feel bad....it was still a good run and plus I'm going from running 7 miles ( my highest) on a lap track, completly flat to 6 miles on tons of hill and elevation...not easy at all!! So I have to take it all in stride....

So this weekend I head to Tucson to do a 5k with Shelley....first race so I can get some practice in...working the starting line...putting on the game face...getting into the minds of my fellow racers....I know I can make them cry! Oh wait that's me.... :) Well you know what I mean...plus I want to support Shelley...I mean she just did this marathon so I know she's really nervous about doing this 5k...it's ok Shelley...just give it your best LOL!!

And then my brother just texted me saying there is a 5k Oct 30th at 7pm in the evening in Vegas and I was already planning on heading there for that weekend so I think we're going to hit that one too!! Then for Halloween Zach is a Mummy and maybe I'll be Jackie Joyner Kersee...put on some hot pink and green flourescent running gear and breakout some big ol' Lee press on nails...nice huh!!! I know you're trying to picture it :)

So until next week...keep pressin' on...

Love everyone....ah see running is euphoric...I'm feeling the love!! Ok enough of me...good night!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm supposed to be working right now, but had to jot down a few quick thoughts.

    1- You are doing your long runs without much other running during the week. I'm sure you know what I'm going to say next... You're lining yourself up to get injured. Your hips are going to get sore because you're asking them to do a herculean effort on the weekend and then letting them off easy the rest of the week. If you can't make the mileage, that's okay. You would be much better off running the 4 days a week that you're supposed to be running. Even if you skip the speedwork. That's the only way your body is going to handle the long runs on the weekend... if it's used to being on the feet all week.

    2- I understand the creepiness of running in the dark. I have a hard time doing that too. Does your mom still have a bike? Could you talk her into riding along side with you. Not only does it make you feel better, but statistically, creepers pick sole targets :)

    3- I'm excited about our race Saturday. I think it's a good idea to do the Vegas one too. Just don't compromise your mileage too much to do the short races.

    Man, I'm just a hag, always nagging you. I just so want you to finish Big Sur without hurting yourself and having fun the whole way!

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sgt DeVere -

    Yes I knew you were going to get on me about my mileage. First you know no one can beat me up on that fact more than myself :) But I have to note that my hip issue Monday with my long run was because of the pull from my slip not the running....surprising enough while they may hurt at times during running and after...my recovery time is MUCH MUCH faster. So my hip pain is not bad at this point...even the pull from the slip seemed to recover pretty good!

    So I know you have my best interest in mind but trust me I'm working as hard as I can and maintain my sanity as best as possible.

    And uh...no my mom doesn't have a bike...I don't think I've ever seen her on one in my entire life time (sorry mom but I think it's true) :) Unfortunately I'm on my own for now.

    I'm teasing you and always appreciate your feedback and support....I'm just drowning during a time when the running is getting longer. I'll figure it out. I'm just trying to remind myself that Big Sur (my first big race) doesn't have to be perfection...as much as my soul says otherwise..I consciously have to focus on changing that thought process...I have to or else I fail this i may not continue. I have to focus on setting myself up for long term...and I'm not always going to be able to get all long workouts in either because of pain, work or life. And this isn't about excuses or else I would be trying to do night runs...It just means I start where I left off..

    I so so so appreciate your support and candor! Keep it coming ...because it only gives me more to learn and consider and I progress!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I hear you. And I know that no one pushes themselves harder than you. It really is just my nervousness that you will continue to have fun and not end up hating this. Remember... I have to get you to the start line in Feb 2010. You're on the team!
    When do I get to see you this weekend?

    ReplyDelete