Monday, September 28, 2009

Week 9 of 16 week program

Hmmm so for the week. After an easy (rest) week I'm now back to hitting the mileage for the next few weeks...oh lord help me now is all I can say!!! Because I'm going to need it!! And I also realized today that I'm a month and a half away from Big Sur...! Anxiety...just kidding, no not really :)

Last Wednesday was able to get outside that night for the first time since June and get my short run in. It was my easy run only 2 miles. Have to admit that I've gotten a little spoiled with the flat, hill-less track at the gym...compared to the very much hilly streets on the side of a mountain in my neighborhood. Also hmmm while cooler then back in June I realized quickly that I also got spoiled by the A/C as well!! :) Especially the big ol' fan as I come around one of the turns :) I agree with my original comments many months ago when I was just working toward doing 2 miles at a maximum in that the hills I think really helped speed up some of my training....make it a bit easier...tiny bit...once I was on only flat land like the track. But I think what was great most of all was to feel the progress from past June!!! The hills which I dreaded are now just minor annoyances and the down hill section that I loved before...felt like I was flying down it!! So while 2 miles (again 2 miles whether you are just doing 2 or 7 the first are still the hardest) it felt so much better than it did..oh you know back in the day...so long ago...oh wait 3 months ago...CRAZY!!!! And now I'm doing 7...WOW!

Didn't seem to get in my speedwork this week....had planned on Friday evening but opted for a night out with the girls so we hit a cool downtown lounge...much needed. Still planned to be good and get it in the next morning but ended up not feeling so great for pretty much the weekend....needless to say it didn't happen. No no nothing to do with partaking in too many adult beverages Friday night. Actually a lot of congestion issues which I was worried would impact my long Monday run.

So speaking of 7...that's what I did tonight. Once again....dreading oh dreading it all day...anxiety...stop the mind!! I have no idea why...I'd already done it but of course I knew it meant I was going to be running for a little over a hour and half....so all day I'd ask or tell myself stupid things like...what did I do hour and half ago...oh yeah I was still at work...yep I'd still be running....or the time it'd take me to DRIVE to Tucson and have an Eegee I'd still be running....or watch a movie...yep running the whole time...that's a long time to run around and around. I know I know....the numbers again!! Once I started running I really tried to zone out and not think about it....but then by mile 2 I managed to work through a mile and half just concerning myself with my garmin watch/foot pod and wanting to chuck it over the balcony ledge....good news is that it distracted me but bad news I ended up shutting it off and went back to counting laps the rest of the run...so I really have no clue where my pace came in!! Also it was the first time I actually stopped and walked a lap at mile 5 and mile 6...almost quit at mile 6 and was like....WHAT??!! How stupid is that....the longest part is already done....suck it up girl and do it...JUST DO IT!! So I did and was very happy for that...because we all know this posting would be a bit different....I'd be beating myself up. Afterward...creeped and crawled my way down the steps looking like a salt lick.....seriously!!! Face, chest, and arms....could see the salt build up from the sweat...that's ok..once again badge of honor! So now I smell of menthol from Icy / Hot on every part of my body, even places I didn't intend :)

So this past weekend I'd planned to do a 5k here in Phx but Shelley mentioned to me going down to Tucson for one on Oct 10th....so I decided on that instead...I have to admit the decision was motivated 50/50 between really wanting to do it with Shelley and this means I get to get a Pina Colada Eegee ( both when I get there and oh yeah baby before I leave town) :) No honestly really looking forward to that Eegee....just kidding, kind of! No it's been since Shelley ran the 2 miles with me at the end of the first 8 week program (at the end of June) and I'm really looking forward to running with her as well as spending time with her and Brian (whom have both been running their rears off preparing for a marathon...now talk about time to make me go mentally insane)!!

Til next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment